About My Practice
When I moved to Chapel Hill twenty five years ago, I visited physician offices across the Triangle to talk about my focus on aesthetic dermatology. I treasure relationships formed during those early years, and deeply appreciate the referrals. I hope my practice has been the trusted partner and resource I promised it would be. A lot has changed, but I’m still focused on aesthetics, still teaching and conducting clinical trials, and still committed to partnering with you to deliver safe and effective treatments for our patients. My goal for this page is to share information that may be of interest: what we’re treating and how, the latest research in my niche, publications you may find useful, upcoming studies at my practice, and places you’ll find me or my staff in the coming months. It’s a work in progress, so your patience and feedback are most appreciated!
— Sue Ellen Cox, MD
These partners and organizations help us deliver quality care and manage successful practices by investing in education, research and member networking.
About Dr. Cox
A pioneering thought-leader in aesthetic medicine who just happens to live in Chapel Hill, and be incredibly easy to talk to. Dr. Cox enjoys time with her patients between clinical research and teaching activities.Meet Dr. Cox
What We Treat
We specialize in treatment of concerns related to aging, sun damage and skin quality, pigment and discoloration. We offer a full range of injectables, laser and devices to meet these needs. Our body contouring center includes non-invasive, injectable and surgical treatments to help patients address areas of localized fat. We treat women and men of all ages and skin types.
We carry Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, Jeuveau and a full range of dermal fillers to address common signs of aging, including wrinkles, etched-in lines, creases and folds, loss of volume and projection. Injectables are also used to treat brow position, asymmetry, scarring, dimples, prominent neck bands, excessive sweating and gummy smile. We use injectable PRP for hair loss and thinning, and Asclera in sclerotherapy for spider veins.
Lasers & Devices
We have a comprehensive array of lasers and energy devices to treat common skin concerns. Highly customizable skin resurfacing can address texture, tightening, tone and pigment. Pulse-dye and broadband light devices are available to treat facial redness, vascular lesions, scar discoloration, telangiectasia and rosacea. We can also remove sun spots, brown spots, other pigmented lesions and birthmarks, as well as blue facial veins and unwanted hair. We use thermal technology to treat excessive underarm sweating, radio-frequency for feminine rejuvenation, and ultrasound for tissue tightening.
Our body contouring center can reduce unwanted localized fat in most areas of the body. This includes the abdomen, flanks, inner and outer thighs, arms, back, and pubis. Bra fat, fullness under the chin, male breasts, and back of the neck can also be treated. We utilize injectable Kybella, non-invasive CoolSculpting and Emsculpt, and surgical tumescent liposuction. Cellulite dimples are treated with Cellfina, or in more isolated cases filler.
Our medical spa offers laser hair removal, chemical peels, microneedling, gentle laser resurfacing, clinical facials and dermaplaning. These services can be used to treat acne, acne scarring, skin tone, texture and pigment.
We stock a wide selection of clinically-proven, medical-grade skincare products with growth factors, stem cells, exfoliants, antioxidants, zinc-based sun protection and other proven, high quality components.
Our research activities are focused on aesthetics, with emphasis on dermal fillers and neuromodulators. Over 40 studies have been performed here in the office. The clinical trials offer an early look at where the pharmaceutical and device companies are headed, what’s coming, and just as important, the opportunity to provide physician feedback in the development process. Consulting on scale development has increased significantly in the last couple of years, suggesting the pace of innovation and label expansion is accelerating. Studies tend to fill quickly, and usually with our own patients, though participation is open to anyone in the Triangle area. Ironically, increased public acceptance of aesthetics can make it harder to meet exclusion criteria requiring participants without recent treatment.
You’ll find information on current and upcoming studies below. We’re happy to share non-confidential information, so let us know if you have any questions. Interested patients can sign up to receive study enrollment notices on our Clinical Studies and Research page.
Glabellar Neuromodulator 1904-48
Status: In Progress
We have completed enrollment for this study evaluating the effectiveness of a neuromodulator when used in the glabellar (between the brows) area. Dr. Cox is serving as the principal investigator.
Body Contouring 1812-47
Dr. Cox completed work as the principal investigator in this study evaluating the effectiveness of body contouring devices. The study began in November 2018 and ended in April 2019.
Leading the way through clinical research.
We are privileged to advance state of the art in aesthetic medicine. Our research activities are focused on aesthetics, with emphasis on dermal fillers, neuromodulators and body contouring.
48 Clinical Studies
53 Peer Reviewed Publications
There’s no shortage of material to read, and I expect many of you receive the same publications I do. I focus on peer-reviewed materials, both reading and writing. I want to guide my patients with the best, evidence-based information available, and try to do my part to contribute to that knowledge base. I’ve listed a few of my publications below, and included a link to download the pdf (if available). Talking with colleagues about recent developments and clinical practice has been invaluable to me over the years, so if you see something that piques your interest, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- A Multicenter Single Blind Randomized Controlled Study of a Volumizing Hyaluronic Acid Filler for Midface Volume Deficit
- Juvederm Ultra Demonstrates Greater Effectiveness with Less Pain Than Belotero for Treatment of Perioral Lines in a Randomized Controlled Trial
- HYC-24L Demonstrates Greater Effectiveness with Less Pain than CPM-22.5 for Treatment of Perioral Lines in a Randomized Controlled Trial
- Efficacy and Safety of OnabotulinumtoxinA for the Treatment of Crows Feet Lines
- An Analysis of the Long-Term Safety Data of Repeat Administrations of Botulinum Neurotoxin Type A-ABO for the Treatment of Glabellar Lines
- OnabotulinumtoxinA Dose-Ranging Study for Hyperdynamic Perioral Lines
Where You’ll Find Us
Education, both getting and giving, is important to our practice. You’ll find our staff members learning or teaching at the events below. If you happen to be there, chase us down. It’s always nice to meet our colleagues.
October 24th-27th, 2019 | ASDS Annual Meeting. Chicago, Illinois.
- Dr Cox will travel to Chicago for the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery’s Annual Meeting where she will deliver two talks and one panel discussion as well as serve as moderator for one session.
- October 24th 7:30am – Soft Tissue Fillers: Advanced Video Instruction with Panel Discussion
- October 24th 2:35pm – Oral Abstract: A Randomized, Controlled, Evaluator-Blinded, Multi-Center Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness and Safety of HA(RK) versus a Comparator in the Augmentation of Soft Tissue Fullness of the Lip
- October 25th 7:00am – Lower Face: Lessons Learned From Complications
- October 25th 1:30pm – Oral Abstract: Safety and Effectiveness of Hyaluronic Acid Injectable Filler, VYC-20L, Using a Cannula for Cheek Augmentation: Results From a Multicenter, Randomized, Single-Blind, Controlled Study
- October 25th 2:35pm – Shared Interest Group: Body Contouring
- October 26th 4:15pm – Complications and Catastrophes: Preventing and Dealing with Undesirable Outcomes
November 9th, 2019 | Galderma New Product Innovation Aesthetic Advisory Board. Montreal, Canada.
- Dr. Cox will travel to Montreal to meet with other aesthetic experts. We’re happy to be a part of Galderma’s journey to safe, effective aesthetic innovation.
November 15th-16th, 2019 | Merz Expert Summit. Munich, Germany.
- Dr. Cox will be attending The Merz Expert Summit, an event that brings together leading professionals from around the world to discuss the latest in aesthetic trends, scientific developments, and treatment techniques as well as generate new and innovative ideas for the future of aesthetic medicine.
November 23rd-24th, 2019 | ASDS Advanced Injection Workshop. New York City, New York.
- Dr. Cox will serve as a course director and faculty member for this workshop held in New York.
February 20th-22nd, 2020 | Miami Cosmetic Surgery & Aesthetic Dermatology. Miami, Florida.
Dr. Cox will travel to Miami for the launch of Miami Cosmetic Surgery. This event will host over 1,000 medical professionals to feature the latest advances in aesthetics.
March 20th-24th, 2020 | AAD Annual Meeting. Denver, Colorado.
- Dr. Cox will travel to Denver for the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting.
- March 23rd – Director – Hands On: Practical Anatomy for Dermal Filler